There are many things you need to be mindful of when it comes to taking care of your teeth. The importance of understanding cavities and how they affect your teeth and your overall health is one of the main areas of dental care people ignore and overlook. Many people think a cavity is a small issue and is not something to be overly worried about. Here at Comfort Care Family Dental, we offer dental care in Naperville and have seen many cases of cavities, in all levels of severity. Most people fail to understand how bad cavities can be so let’s look at that a bit closer today.
What Exactly Are Cavities?
“Cavities are permanently damaged areas in the hard surface of your teeth that develop into tiny openings or holes. Cavities, also called tooth decay or caries, are caused by a combination of factors, including bacteria in your mouth, frequent snacking, sipping sugary drinks and not cleaning your teeth well. Cavities and tooth decay are among the world’s most common health problems. They’re especially common in children, teenagers, and older adults. But anyone who has teeth can get cavities, including infants” (Mayo Clinic). As a global concern, it is easy to see why we stress the importance of understanding cavities and what individuals can do in the fight against cavities. This is also why getting quality dental care in Naperville from experts like our team here at Comfort Care Family Dental can make all the difference in the world- no matter how old or young you may be!
Symptoms of Cavities
Most cavities start out small and unless you are diligent in checking or the cavity ison an area of the tooth that is easily visible, you will likely not know when it first starts to form and attack your tooth. As it grows these may be some of the symptoms you experience:
- A toothache that seems to come out of nowhere
- Tooth sensitivity that suddenly starts or worsens
- Pain in reaction to sweet, hot, or cold food and drink
- Visible holes or pits in your teeth
- Discoloration of the tooth- usually black or brown
- Pain when you bite down and chew or put pressure on the teeth
Complications From Cavities
There are any health risks that come with cavities that are left untreated which is why our team stresses the importance of understanding cavities and what they can do to not just your teeth but the rest of your body. Good dental care in Naperville can help you avoid these complications:
- Pain that worsens to the pint eating is difficult or the pain becomes constant
- Tooth abscess and swelling in the gums and possible bleeding of the gums
- Infection and pus around a tooth or coming from the pulp inside the tooth
- Damaged or broken teeth due to cavities weakening the entire tooth
- Chewing problems due to pain and sensitivity
- Loss of teeth due to tooth death
- Shifting and misalignment of teeth after tooth loss
When cavities are left untreated and are allowed to become severe, you may have:
- Pain that is intense and constant to the point that it interferes with daily living
- Weight loss or nutrition problems due to poor eating habits
- Multiple tooth loss and many damaged teeth as the infection spreads
- In rare cases, infection can spread to the jaw bone or into the blood stream
The Importance of Understanding “What Exactly Are Cavities”?
If you are looking for the best dental care in Naperville then look no further than Comfort Care Family Dental! When it comes to the importance of understanding cavities we have helped hundreds of patients just like you! Protect your teeth and your overall health and wellness and call to schedule your first appointment with us today!
1001 E Chicago Ave #143, Naperville, IL 60540