We all know that our teeth are important and that we need to take care of them. But what many people do not know are all of the fun facts that exist concerning dental care and our teeth in general. So, whether you are genuinely curious or are looking to beef up your fact database for trivia night, here are some things you probably did not know about the world of dental care:
Teeth Fun Facts
- People who consume a lot of soda each day have 62% more tooth decay and tooth loss.
- Tooth enamel is the hardest substance in the human body.
- You tend to chew your food mostly on the side that correlates to your dominant hand.
- Every year, kids in North America spend close to half a million dollars on chewing gum.
- The color blue is the most popular when it comes to toothbrush and toothpaste color.
- Like fingerprints, everyone’s tongue print and teeth indentation are unique.
- Giraffes do not have top teeth, just bottom grinding type teeth.
- Dogs have 42 teeth, cats have 30 teeth, pigs have 44 teeth, and an armadillo has 104 teeth.
- A snail’s mouth is the size of a pinhead yet hold over 25,000 minuscule teeth!
- An elephant’s molar is about 7 inches square and can weigh over 6 pounds.
- The Blue Whale is the largest animal alive today yet has no teeth as a filter feeder.
Dental Care Fun Facts
- Most people brush for only 60 seconds a day rather than the recommended 2-3 minutes.
- Most Americans will spend 38.5 total days brushing and flossing in their lifetime.
- A staggering 78% of Americans have had at least 1 cavity before they reach adulthood.
- More than 300 types of bacteria are found in the mouth and make up dental plaque.
- Without flossing each day, you are not cleaning 40% of your tooth surfaces!
- There are 10-12 teaspoons of sugar per can of soda and much of it sticks to tooth enamel.
Dentistry Fun Facts
- In 1866, Lucy Beaman Hobbs became the first licensed female dentist.
- The 1986 National Spelling Bee was won with ODONTALGIA -meaning toothache.
- In 1950 the tooth fairy left 25 cents, in 1988 $1, the going rate today is over $2.
- The earliest dentist is Hesi-Re of Egypt who lived and worked over 5,000 years ago.
- The first toothbrushes were tree twigs that were chewed on to rub teeth and gums clean.
- Ancient Greeks used pumice, talc, alabaster, coral powder or iron rust as toothpaste.
- George Washington’s dentures were made if gold, hippo tusk, ivory and human teeth!
- In 1905, Irene Newman was trained to clean teeth and became the first dental hygienist.
Now that your curiosity has been quenched, take care of your amazing teeth by calling us today for a dental check-up or cleaning. Our skilled and experienced team here at Comfort Care Family Dental are ready to help you get the smile you want and need and deserve! Call today to get started!
For periodontal treatments in Chicago, visit https://www.LoopPerio.com