Many issues and disease can affect our teeth and gums and impact our overall oral health. Good daily dental care is something we all need to be aware of in order to take care of our teeth. Of all of these issues, the two biggest and most common issues that affect oral health are as follows:
Dental carries– known as cavities or severe tooth decay, this is caused by bacterial agents that attack the enamel and structure of the tooth itself; this results in holes in the teeth and when this gets too severe and advanced the tooth can die and be lost which opens the door to many other problems.
Periodontal disease– when the gums become inflamed, red, swollen, bleeding, and painful, it is likely due to gum disease and is caused by the accumulation of plaque and bacteria along the gum line; it damages the gum tissue the teeth and in advanced cases even the bone structure of the jaw.
Good Daily Dental Care
We all hear that we need to take care of our teeth and that they are important to our health and wellness and good daily tooth and gum care as the single best thing we can do to stay off diseases like these. There is now clear evidence that both of these diseases can be prevented or at least considerably reduced. Investing 5-10 minutes out of your day to brush, floss, and use mouthwash, can help you prevent years of pain and thousands of dollars in expensive dental procedures.
In addition to dental caries and periodontal disease, many other problems can affect our oral health, many which can be greatly reduced and improved with daily dental care. These include:
- Oral cancer- while cancer can hit anyone, at any time, knowing you are more prone to it means you need to take better care of your teeth and gums and mouth!
- Dental trauma– impact injuries, cracks and fractures of the teeth, chipped and broken teeth, and other injuries sustained.
- Tooth wear – normal dental erosion caused by time and use, attrition and abrasion from food and drinks and improper dental care.
- Dry mouth- sinus issues and other health issues can lead to dry mouth which makes it easier for bacteria to get established and multiply along the teeth and gums.
- Halitosis – also commonly known as bad breath, any instance of chronic and severe halitosis can be a sign of other underlying issues with the teeth and gums.
- Mouth ulcers- sores of the mouth and gums are entry points for bacteria and virus and infections so it is important to practice daily dental care to head off any issues.
- Tooth sensitivity- when the enamel of the teeth is damaged and weakened, it allows the tender and sensitive pulp of the inner tooth to be exposed and damaged.
Contact Us Today
Daily dental care is essential to protecting your teeth and gums and preserving your overall oral health and wellness. For more tips or for help with your dental care plans and any advanced care needs you may have, give us a call today here at Comfort Care Family Dental! Take control of your health and protect your teeth and gums- we can help, so get started today and contact us for your consultation appointment today!
1001 E Chicago Ave #143, Naperville, IL 60540